Semcon has supported Region Västra Götaland (VGR) to implement a new learning management system which fulfils the varied needs within VGR as well as the high expectations on flexible learning.
The mission of Region Västra Götaland (or VGR – a collection of county councils in western Sweden and the city of Gothenburg) is to provide good care and services to the citizens of the region. Operations range from healthcare and public transportation to rights and environmental issues, employing around 55,000 people in total. With many colleagues and a wide spectrum of services, learning solutions are a necessity in projects and change management:
– Many roles need to understand the scope of competence development efforts and how individuals can aquire new knowledge. It’s a challenge since the prerequisites vary greatly within the organisation, says Åsa Grönlund, project manager at VGR.
Tough requirements on the platform
Semcon’s subsidiary Xtractor, has supported VGR with implementing and customising a learning management system (LMS) to meet the needs within the organisation. The value of an all-covering learning platform has become evident in an ongoing digitalisation initiative aiming to increase collaboration between healthcare actors.
With Xtractor’s solution, based on the LMS Totara, VGR can offer effective learning activities such as software and application training, certified courses, short introductions for new employees, long-term education, forum discussions and webinars.
Adapts learning to the user
Employees are taking the lead in their own competence development and expect flexible learning solutions: The learning may start at the workplace together with colleagues and continue at locations and times of their own choice. Adapting the pace and place has become more important in the recent years given the pandemic. The project itself, between VGR and Xtractor, has adapted to our new reality, e.g. through virtual meetings.
By partnering with Xtractor we have been able to execute a project of this size, impacting so many users. Customising the learning platform to VGR’s needs has been a challenge, together we have developed an advanced solution that meets the future demands and expectations of competence development.
Since 2020, roughly five consultants from Xtractor have implemented the learning platform in all organisations involved in the healthcare digitalisation initiative. Towards the end of 2021, the work was completed and Xtractor now continues to cater for and develop the learning platform within the region.
Xtractor has contributed with the following competences:
- Project management
- LMS consultant interpreting the requirements and needs from the organisation to configure, provide training and document the solution
- Business support at VGR to implement, migrate previous LMS, train and support
- Technical production
- Front-end and Back-end development
- Technical production
- Education producer at VGR
The delivery includes e.g.:
- Seamless login within the organisations and smooth login for external actors.
- Operations, service and SLA.
- Support to system and learning administrators at VGR.
- Features such as course programs, webinar invitations, digital blended learning and classroom education.
- Education library with filters, topics and hierarcical categorisation to ease finding the right course or subject.
- Targeted learning, aimed towards different user groups for each user to have access to relevant training material.
- Possibility for managers to give access and rights to employees.
- Possibility to export data for analysis.
- Automated import and synchronisation from HR systems for information about professional roles, managers, organisations and positions.
- Adapted layout and dashboards to different stakeholders e.g. manager views.
- Possibility to admin a group of users, e.g. a department or a unit.